Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April 30, 2013

Today's run was inspired in part by yesterday's. Today I ran two roads that I've run past a million times, another that I wasn't sure if it was really there or not, and into one of those parks I mentioned. I was lucky enough to have company again, which always helps, especially when my company humors my crazy requests to go on scouting missions.


The old memorial-image by Deepak CC-BY-SA-2.0
The run today hinged on the National Police Memorial, a park I've gone past a lot. I convinced my running partners to join me on an exploration, so we hopped the fence and went inside. One of my them had heard that there was some type of memorial that had been taken down (it was, in 2007) or was controversial(it was, a waste of government money and an eyesore), so I looked it up when I wrote this post. Here is a site from the Indian government announcing a contest to design a new memorial. The entries were due in 2011. A winner was announced, by for now, the site sits abandoned. Here's a link to the plans by the winning firm. There are staircases that lead under the central pavilion, where the tower once sat, I suppose. We went down to explore and I was sufficiently creeped out, peeking around the dark, rubble filled area. But to my surprise, there were no vagrants, miscreants, hobos or even stray dogs. Just an overriding sense of decay. Here's to hoping that Delhi eventually gets it act together and invests appropriately in infrastructure.


RUN STATS:
Distance - 4 Miles
Time - 39:48
Soundtrack - Fade to Black, A Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica



No comments:

Post a Comment