Thursday, May 9, 2013

May 9, 2013

Today's run by the numbers:

1 Rumblin' rail, passing overhead
2 Tiny tents, hidden in garden beds
3 Pretty peacocks, beautiful and blue
4 Darling donors, this run's for you
5 Dirty dogs, eating milk and trash
6 Morning miles, not quite at a dash

Maybe I've been reading too many children's books for Arlo these days.

Today's run was a six miler dedicated to The Lawson Family, Marina, Mary and Kerrie. Thank you all for your generous donations to the NILMDTS. They appreciate the gesture and I know people will benefit as a result of your kindness. As for me, your donations forced me out the  door on a Thursday morning, something I don't normally do. Wednesday night is soccer night, so I usually skip the run the next morning. My legs were tired! I chose a fun six miler and saw some great stuff on the run.

The run starts at school and runs down a lane that is bordered by the US and Pakistani embassies. Early in the morning (before six a.m. today) there was already a line of anxious people waiting to get visas to visit the US. At the Pakistan embassy, a row of translators with typewriters at the ready, happy to help with visa documents. Then the run cuts through Nehru Park, a favorite green space of the Chanakyapuri neighborhood. As always, lots of people were there, walking, jogging, doing yoga, etc. A quick dip into the route I like to the Peacock 4 Miler, because sure enough, 3 pretty peacocks all in  row - one each on three bungalow roofs as I ran past. A shortcut underneath the railroad bridge, complete with a train passing overhead and I was in Sarojini Market.

CC: By Shashwat_Nagpal via Flickr
I like this route a lot because Sarojini is super interesting. It's a great market to visit because it is a hectic, crowded, diverse place. You have to go with a lot of patience, but when you do, it's worth it. At 6am though, it's quiet and just waking up to a long day ahead. This is where I saw the dirty dogs, eating milk. A woman had stopped at a local milk stall and was feeding the street dogs as her dog, leashed to a police tower, looked on. The Wikipedia page explains India's unique street dogs (they belong to no one, yet everyone) and this NYT blog post offers a different perspective. Luckily, they were complacent today and caused me no trouble (unlike last year, when I was bit).

I kept cruising and due to a little roundabout traveling (again caused by Delhi Metro construction) I found myself cutting through an apartment block with tiny garden areas that had been overtaken by squatter tents/shacks. I would guess that they are the homes of the servants working in the apartments. It was interesting, another reminder of the scarcity of space in a city with almost 22 million people.

The run back (a loop in Sarojini is the half-way point) included views of cows, fruit sellers and monkeys as I hoofed up a hill and back into the embassy area. All in all, a good run!

Thanks again to my donors! If you want a run and your name in lights, please visit:

https://www.coloradogives.org/forellis

RUN STATS:
Distance - 6 miles
Time - 48:52
Temp at 6am - 81 degrees F
Soundtrack - The Probers, a CD of a band from Wisconsin that played at UWEC when I was in college

Looks a little like Marvin the Martian, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment