Monday, March 24, 2014


Thank you! An appeal for donors nabbed three quick donations, taking care of today's, tomorrow's and Wednesday's runs.

Without Becky, today's run most assuredly would not have happened.

It was dark.
It was raining.
My headphones stopped working.

Under any normal circumstances, I would have headed back upstairs and crawled back into bed. Training for a marathon takes time, effort and dedication, but a measly three miler can be skipped, right?

Not when there's money on the line. It means the world to me to have people helping out and donating money to inspire me to keep running. More importantly, the ball is rolling. Becky's donation helped to make my total $260. Added to the previous amount in the campship, and we've raised almost $1000! There's still work to be done, though. An effective campship needs between seven and ten thousand to accrue the necessary interest to send a kid to camp every year. Click here to read why it's so important to me to raise money to create a campship in memory of my friend, Ty. Click here if you think you can help too!

Back to the run.

Believe it or not, this was the first time that I've ever gone running in the rain. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but it's not so cold anymore in Delhi and truthfully, it wasn't pouring. It wasn't so bad, and like I said, there was no way I could back out on this run. The big bummer was the fact that my headphones stopped working. I love running with music, so not having anything to listen to put me in a dark mood. Again, thanks to Becky, I kept running.

The route was the Nehru Park 3 Miler. If you're reading my posts (I think somebody does, right?) then you know that this is my speed workout, my challenge run, my future probable cause of puking on a run...well today was a good one. I got my second personal record (PR) on the 1.6 mile Nehru Park Loop course. 11:10. The standing record is 11:03, and I would love to break 11 minutes. Maybe a big contingent donation will motivate me?

The rain didn't keep the visa searchers away from the Pakistan embassy. The translators were under tarps with their LED lanterns busy on their typewriters. Over the weekend, there must have been an event in the park because today there were piles of chairs and tents. Not so oddly, there were few other people in the park today, just a few walkers with umbrellas and a few other runners braving the rain drizzle.

Normally, after I push myself on the loop, I leave the park and slow down quite a bit on the way back home. Today, I decided to keep the pace. Lo and behold, even though I didn't beat the "in the park" record, I did get a PR on the overall 3 miler. It was my fastest time out  of the 12 times that I've run the route this year!

This run belongs to Becky! Thanks for helping out!

I'm dedicating runs to raise money for a campship in memory of my friend Ty Taylor at YMCA Camp Miller. Click here or here to donate. Please make sure you choose the Ty Taylor Campship option. And please let me know if you've made a donation so I can thank you!

Distance - 3.0 miles
Time - 20:45
Soundtrack - None. See my whiny comments above.

No comments:

Post a Comment