Monday, March 17, 2014

The REAL Color Run

If you've ever heard of The Color Run, then you might have an idea of what I did today.

The Color Run is basically a rip-off of the Indian holiday of Holi. This is the first time in the past three years that I've celebrated. It was thanks to a great idea of my friend Jake. He suggested that we go for a run today in our Holi whites and see what happened.

When we first moved to India, we loved playing Holi. It was a fun way to celebrate the end of Delhi winter. We'd get together, brunch, douse each other with colored water and powder and have a grand time. The past two years, we've played it down quite a bit, but this year it was back into the fray.

After a late start, Jake and I headed out.

Looking fresh, in Holi whites

We were out of the school gates for approximately 20 seconds when we got hit by the first group of revelers. They blessed us with color and we were on our way to Malcha Marg, the residential area near school. We followed the beat of the drums and found the stragglers still celebrating. With cries of "Happy Holi!" we roamed the streets. With the occasional dustings, we weaved our way through markets and alleyways meeting children, parents and even a bhang-crazed dancer. It was good fun and upon our return to campus, we met up with other teachers and their children for a lunch potluck and an sun-filled afternoon of games of leisure.

Good times.

Not so bad, considering we were late in the day

Jake pointed out that I always get dark on my ears


This run could have been yours!

Remember, I'm dedicating runs to raise money for a campship in memory of my friend Ty Taylor at YMCA Camp Miller. Click here or here to donate. Please make sure you choose the Ty Taylor Campship option. And please let me know if you've made a donation so I can thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment