Tuesday, May 6, 2014

For Anonymous!

My anonymous donor has struck again.  He (or she) donates every year in the most humble way with a small disclaimer - "Please don't mention my name or anything."

If you want to be anonymous you can be too. Just donate here.

It's been three days off from running.  A huge group of us went to see the "world's oldest zero" in a temple in Gwalior. It was a mathematically religious experience. I could have accompanied Keir on a run up to the fort where the zero temple is on Sunday morning, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Too tired and lazy.

50 Garlands!

Zero, my hero...


Today, we were back in Delhi and I was back on the streets. I was joined by Ted and Bernie, so the promise of a too-fast run was imminent. These are the guys that are probably going to kill me on the game-ified courses we compete on. I welcomed it (begrudgingly) and we headed out for the Poppy 4 Miler. On the way, we decided on a great way to prank the MapMyRunners on the Nehru Park Loop Course. I don't think we'll actually do it, so here's the set-up. One phone, three runners stationed at relay loops around the park. Full sprints for each of us and the owner of the phone takes down a seriously fast record time. Maybe if the readership of my blog stays flat, this reveal is no big deal?  Would it kill you to leave a comment once in a while, readers?

It was fun catching up with these guys as we made our way to Kushak Road. My training would be a real pain in the butt if it wasn't for my friends, in particular these two. Together with Keir, they are always willing to join me on a run whether it's a four miler or a long 18 miler to Qutub Minar and back. Thanks guys!

The run was good. It seemed to be threatening to rain, but didn't. The first half of the poppy is dog-rich, which is annoying. The dogs on this section of the route get really crabby. Oh, and we also had to split a group of monkeys - "Be braavvve, be brraavve...."

The other highlights of the run included a gigantic dead rat and a Skype call from Bernie's wife. Of course, it didn't slow him down.

The final section of the route was the Last Gasp Course, a course created by Gene to challenge runners to finish strong. It's the last .6 miles of most routes back to school. We turned into it and let loose. I gave up about half way and told the others to save themselves. They left me in their dust.

When we got home, cooled down and started our day, Ted sent an email showing that Bernie had not only beat each of us on the Last Gasp, but he set the course record. He beat Ted by one second. Ted said it was a birthday present.

Happy birthday Bernie!


This run belongs to Anonymous!

I'm dedicating runs to raise money for a campship in memory of our friend Ty Taylor at YMCA Camp Miller. Click here or here to donate. Please make sure you choose the Ty Taylor Campship option. And please let me know if you've made a donation so I can thank you!

RUN STATS:
Distance - 3.90 miles
Time - 29:34
Soundtrack - An Oldie but a Goodie.  Prodigy, The Fat of the Land





No comments:

Post a Comment