Wednesday, June 12, 2013

13.1 Running Metaphors

Today's run is for the Steadman family. Thanks for your donation. As a professional photographer, I know that Tim can relate to the importance of family photos and the difference they make for the lives of those who benefit from NILMDTS. Take a moment to check out Tim's website if you haven't already used his services. We have and we love his work!

The run for today is the longest run of my training program thus far this year, 13.1 miles. This is the dry run, the practice for the big dance. This year I've been pretty slack with my training so I was a little worried about this run. I've been behind on all of my times and my motivation is low. It helps knowing that people are donating and benefiting a great organization, so I'm keeping that in mind.

13.1 miles is a long way to run, it creates a lot of time for thinking. Last year, when I ran for ACS, I often thought of the comparisons between fighting cancer and running. There are a lot. In fact, I've had a blog entry composed in my head for the last year about those similarities. So today, in honor of the 13.1 mile run, I offer 13.1 Running Metaphors for Life.

1. Sometimes the most difficult part is the first step. Finding the motivation to get up and do it can be tough. But, once you're moving, you're glad you did.
2. You never know what's around the next corner. Sometimes it's giant hill, but sometimes it's a cool breeze. You have to turn to the corner to find out.
3. When you're on the top of a hill, sometimes you can see for miles. Other times, the view of what's to come is obscured. In both cases, you have to keep running to see what's next.
4. Every run has a "finish point." This isn't a finish line, this is the point when you say to yourself, "I've got this. I'm going to finish this run."
5. Just keep running. No matter what, keep running. The only way to finish is to keep moving forward.
6. But sometimes, finishing isn't always the goal. Sometimes You Have to Go Back and take a closer look.
7. It's easier and more enjoyable with friends. Having someone alongside you makes each step a little easier.
8. Slowing down gives you time to soak it all in and see what's to be seen.
9. Running Into the Unknown can be scary, but it can be exciting too. You'll occasionally get lost, but if you keep pushing on and ask for help, you'll be back on track in no time.
10. Running with a purpose is better than running without one. Having a strong motivation to run helps.
11. Setting goals for yourself and trying to improve on your best is important. You don't have to compare yourself with others, but you can always keep working your hardest.
12. You'll be surprised to see what you can do with training and conviction. You are capable of more than you think.
13. It's important to finish strong. When the end is in sight, dig deep and see what you can do. You might surprise yourself with a last minute push that brings you in on a high note.

13.1 - Finding a passion and developing it can be exhilarating. Discovering new routes, going a bit further each time, breaking a personal record-these are the things that make running/life great!

Thanks again for taking the time to read my blog, leave comments and donate to a good cause! 10 days until the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon!

https://www.coloradogives.org/forellis

RUN STATS:
Distance - 13.1 miles
Time - 1:54:48 (way off of my best for the route or the distance)
Soundtrack - Lots of Modest Mouse on Shuffle



No comments:

Post a Comment